Welcome to Glen Dow Academy’s Financial Aid Info Page!

Here you will find a wealth of information concerning financial assistance programs, including all the steps necessary to sign up for financial aid, which types of financial aid can be accepted by Glen Dow Academy, links to official resources, as well as a collection of forms that may be necessary.

If you have any questions that you are unable to find the answer to, please contact our Financial Aid Director using the contact information below.

Glen Dow Academy of Hair Design
Kaiya Eaton
Financial Aid Director
509-624-3244 ext 3
Fax: 509-624-3351
309 W Riverside
Spokane, WA 99201

Don’t have a FSA (Federal Student Aid) ID? Create one by clicking HERE!

Begin your FAFSA by clicking the following link: Start New FAFSA

Please visit the following link for our most recent HEERF quarterly report: HEERF Quarterly Report

Recent changes to FAFSA (For students and parents): What you need to know

Financial Aid Guide

What is Financial Aid?
Any grant, scholarship, loan, or paid employment that is offered to help a student meet his/her college expenses. Such aid may be provided by a variety of sources, including federal and state agencies, colleges, high schools, foundations, and private corporations.

How can I receive Financial Aid?
The first step to receiving Financial Aid is filling out a Free Application For Student Aid (FAFSA), which can be completed at http://www.fafsa.gov. Completing a FAFSA will allow the US Department of Education to determine how much and what types of financial assistance you are eligible to receive (NOTE: Applications for financial aid do not require credit approvals). After you have completed your FAFSA, Glen Dow Academy will be able to discuss your Financial Aid options with you. Please refer to the "Six Steps to Financial Aid" tab for a more in-depth explanation of what you will need to do to receive financial assistance.

What types of Financial Aid are there?

There are three primary types of Financial Aid that GDA is allowed to accept:

1. GRANTS - Financial Aid that does not need to be repaid.

  • PELL - Pell Grants are federal subsidies which are granted to students based on financial need. Eligibility will depend on the applicant's income, as well as their parent's income if the applicant is under the age of 24. Students who are eligible for Pell Grants will receive a specified amount each year.

  • WASHINGTON STATE NEED GRANT - The WSNG program helps the state's undergraduate students with the lowest incomes, by allowing them to pursue education or training that they could otherwise not afford. For information about WSNG eligibility, visit http://www.readysetgrad.org/college/state-need-grant

2. LOANS - Financial Aid that is borrowed and must be repaid.

  • UNSUBSIDIZED LOANS - Direct Unsubsidized Loans are low-cost, fixed-rate federal student loans available to both undergraduate and graduate students. Students will be solely responsible for paying back the entire amount of the loan, including any interest that accrues until the loan balance is paid.

  • SUBSIDIZED LOANS - The US Federal Government will pay the interest on Direct Subsidized Loans while the student is attending their chosen institution, or while the loan is in deferment (postponed). The rest of the balance on the loan will be the student's responsibility.

  • PARENT (PLUS) LOANS - Parent (PLUS) Loans are only available to students who are considered dependents, and whose parents qualify for the loan. Unlike direct unsubsidized and subsidized loans, the student's parents will be responsible for repaying the loan.

  • 3. SCHOLARSHIPS - A grant or payment provided to a student which supports their education, typically awarded on the basis of academic or other achievements.

    What is a Master Promissory Note (MPN)? A Master Promissory Note is a legal document in which you agree to repay any loans taken, including any accrued interest or fees on those loans to the U.S. Department of Education. It also explains the terms and conditions of your loan(s). An MPN will be required paperwork for all loan applicants.
  1. If you will need assistance applying for financial aid, visit www.studentaid.ed.gov, call 1(800) 4-FED-AID, or contact our financial aid department by calling (509) 624-3244 ext. 3

  2. Collect all the information and/or documents you will need in order to apply for Financial Aid. This includes your income tax returns, W-2 Forms or other records of income, records/statements of any investments, your social security or USCIS (Permanent Resident Card) number if you are not a U.S. citizen, and an FSA (Federal Student Aid) account, which can be created by visiting the following link: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa/filling-out/fsaid

    If you are a dependent student, then your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) will also need to provide most of the above information.

  3. Complete the 2017/2018 FAFSA at https://fafsa.ed.gov/FAFSA/app/fafsa?locale=en_US, between October 1, 2017 and June 30, 2018. You may apply at any point during this period, but it is best to apply as soon as you are able to do so.

  4. Approximately three (3) business days after completing your application, the U.S. Department of Education will send you your Student Aid Report (SAR)--which provides the results of your application. Review this report for any necessary corrections that must be made, and submit the SAR for reprocessing if changes are made. Your complete and correct SAR will contain your Expected Family Contribution (EFC)--the number used to determine your federal student aid eligibility. By including Glen Dow Academy's school code (found in the graphic above this guide) in your application, we will also receive the results of your FAFSA, which will allow us to prepare an estimate of your aid to discuss with you.

  5. Depending on the results of your application, Glen Dow Academy may require additional information or paperwork before you are able to receive your student aid. Be sure to respond to any requests from our Financial Aid department as promptly as possible so that your aid can be processed on time.

  6. If all of your paperwork has been completed and processed as necessary, Glen Dow Academy will arrange an appointment with you to review the results of your application, including the types of financial assistance you are eligible for, and how much you will receive.
NOTE: If you plan to apply for nonfederal student aid from Washington State, your current school, or a private scholarship, it is best to begin researching and applying for such forms of aid well before you intend on attending Glen Dow Academy. If you are currently in High School, it is a good idea to start your research as early as spring of your junior year. Such nonfederal forms of aid are often first come, first served, and may not be available later if you delay your applications.
Can I receive financial assistance if I am not a U.S. citizen?

Washington State offers financial aid programs to students who aren’t eligible for federal financial aid because of immigration status. However, these students will still need to meet other program requirements in order to receive aid.

Because GDA is an eligible institution for Washington State Need Grant, we are able to offer eligible non-citizen applicants the Washington Application For State Financial Aid (WASFA). If you are not a U.S. citizen, you will not be able to fill out a FAFSA (Free Application For Student Aid), and should only fill out a WASFA.

To find out if you are eligible for Washington State Assistance as a non-citizen, visit the following link: WASFA Application

WASFA grants are first come, first served. If your WASFA is accepted and you are approved for funding, that does not guarantee there will be funds available to be disbursed to you. For more information, call (509) 624-3244 and use extension 3 to speak with our Financial Aid director.

What are the requirements for State Examination for non-citizens?

Washington State is able to provide state examinations in the following languages: English, Korean, Spanish, and Vietnamese.

When you visit the testing site after graduating your course, you will need two (2) forms of identification, one of which MUST include a current photo and signature.

The following are accepted as your 1st form of identification:

Original Identification with Photo - MUST BE CURRENT (not expired):

  • U.S. or Foreign Driver's License - current, with photo and signature
  • U.S. Armed Services ID Card - current, with photo and signature
  • U.S. or Foreign Passport - current, with photo and signature
  • Federal or State Employee ID Card - current, with photo and signature
  • State-issued ID Card - current, with photo and signature
  • Immigration ID Card - current, with photo and signature from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
  • U.S. Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization - current, with photo and signature
  • U.S. Permanent resident Card (Green Card) - current, with photo and signature
  • Tribal ID card - current, with photo and signature

The following are accepted as your 2nd form of identification:

  • Certified Birth Certificate - original or certified document
  • Social Security Card (non-laminated) or Tax Payer ID letter
  • Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) ID Card or letter
  • Certified Washington State Birth Registration Card
  • U.S. Visa - current, with photo and signature
  • Voter's Card
  • Medicare Card
  • Social Security Administration receipt of name change/replacement card

The following listed items will NOT be accepted as identification:
School ID, Pictures or Photocopies of ID, Credit Cards, Jury Summons, Laminated Identification, Medical Marijuana Cards, Gun Permits, Bus Passes, Club Cards, Car Insurance Cards, and Vehicle Registration.

Candidates for state examination will not be admitted without presenting the required documents. Walk-ins will also not be admitted.

The name submitted on applications for testing will be indicated on the letter you receive after signing up for testing. Please verify that your name, address, photo ID number and date of birth are correct on your admission letter PRIOR to your scheduled examination date. Please make any necessary corrections on your admission letter and send an e-mail to Support@DLRoope.com with the needed corrections, as well as a fax number or e-mail address, to which DL Roope will send the corrected admission letter.
Glen Dow Academy is able to honor Washington State Need Grant (WSNG), College Bound Scholarship (CBS), and Passport To College Scholarship (PTC). These grants and scholarships are offered through Washington State, and can be disbursed by eligible Washington State Schools.

What is Washington State Need Grant?

WSNG is an educational grant program in Washington State for low-income individuals and families. It is a first come, first served grant and has the following eligibility requirements:

  1. You must have graduated high school or received a GED.
  2. You (and your household) must meet the residency/annual income requirements. (Please view chart below)
  3. You must submit an approved FAFSA application.
  4. You must qualify for Pell Grant.
If you meet all these requirements, you will be placed on GDA's disbursement list for State Need Grant after applying.

For more information about WSNG, visit: http://www.wsac.wa.gov/state-need-grant

(This chart is taken from the following link: Ready Set Grad)

What is College Bound Scholarship?

CBS is a scholarship program that provides state financial aid to low-income students who may not consider college a possibility due to the cost. The scholarship can be applied towards tuition and other costs.

Eligibility for the scholarship is a two part process. Students in 7th or 8th grade whose family meets the income requirements must submit and complete an application by June 30 of the student's 8th grade year. Then students must meet the College Bound Pledge requirements and income eligibility, as determined by the student's financial aid application (FAFSA or WASFA) in their senior year of High School. If you are eligible for CBS, you will receive Washington State Need Grant as well.

Requirements for CBS eligibility:

  1. Graduate from High School with a 2.0 or greater GPA (GEDs are acceptable for certain former foster youths)
  2. You must have no felony convictions prior to graduating High School.
  3. You must meet college enrollment deadline within one year of graduating High School.
  4. You must submit an approved FAFSA application.
  5. You must meet residency requirements.
  6. You must take advantage of your eligibility within 5 years of the year you graduated High School.

For more information about College Bound Scholarship, visit the following link: Ready Set Grad

What is Passport To College Scholarship?

The Passport to College Promise Scholarship program (PTC) was created in 2007 by the state of Washington, to assist students in foster care with attending and succeeding in college.

Eligibility for the Passport program requires that a youth must:

  1. Have been a dependent of Washington State and in foster care as of their 18th birthday.
  2. Have spent at least one year in foster care after their 16th birthday.
  3. Meet residency requirements.
  4. Have either graduated High School, or earned their GED before reaching the age of 21.
  5. Enroll at least half (1/2) time in an eligible institution in Washington State before their 22nd birthday.
  6. Be working toward their 1st bachelor's degree, and not be pursuing a degree in theology.
  7. Submit an approved FAFSA and a Passport Consent Application to the school.

For more information on the Passport To College Scholarship program, visit the following link: http://www.wsac.wa.gov/passport-foster-youth
What is a Parent PLUS Loan?

Eligible parents of dependent undergraduate students can take out a Parent PLUS Loan to help their child pay for college or a career school. The Parent PLUS Loan offers a fixed interest rate and flexible loan limits. Interest is charged during all periods.

Who is responsible for paying the Parent PLUS Loan?

The parent(s) are responsible for paying back the loan. Responsibility cannot be transferred to the student.

What is the interest rate on a Parent PLUS Loan?

The Direct PLUS Loan interest rate for the 2017/2018 school year is 7%.

How to apply for a Parent PLUS Loan

  1. Go to www.studentloans.gov
  2. Log in using your FSA ID, which is the same ID you use to fill out a FAFSA. If you do not have an FSA ID, you can create one by visiting the following link: https://fsaid.ed.gov/npas/index.htm
  3. After you log in, go to the Parent Borrowers tab.
  4. Click on "Apply for a PLUS Loan".
  5. Start Parent PLUS Loan application!
Once you have filled out the application, you should be informed of your approval or denial for the loan. If you plan on taking advantage of a Parent PLUS Loan, you must also fill out a Master Promissory Note (MPN). Go back to the studentloans.gov homepage. Click on Parent Borrowers, and select complete loan agreement for a PLUS loan. Then fill out your MPN. This MUST be completed before you can receive a Parent PLUS Loan.
"Federal Student Aid: Find the Information You Need" - A PDF provided by the Federal Student Aid office of the U.S. Department of Education, which should direct you to any additional information you are searching for.

FSA Resources - A full list of resources including booklets, brochures, images, videos, search engines for colleges, possible careers, scholarships, fact sheets, forms, and worksheets. Most everything you might need can be found here.
The forms below are designed so that you can fill out most fields on your computer, before printing. Light blue boxes will indicate fillable sections of the form, and boxes can be checked off by clicking on them. If you have any questions, please call (509) 624-3244 ext. 3 to speak with our Financial Aid director.

4506-T - "Request for Transcript of Tax Return" - Form

Verification forms - [DEPENDENT STUDENTS]
18/19 V1 Checklist & Form - Dependent
18/19 V4 Checklist & Forms - Dependent
18/19 V5 Checklist & Forms - Dependent

Verification forms - [INDEPENDENT STUDENTS]
18/19 V1 Checklist & Form - Independent
18/19 V4 Checklist & Forms - Independent
18/19 V5 Checklist & Forms - Independent
Please contact our Financial Aid Department for information about VA programs as is relevant to your desired course.